Podcasts By Year2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #172: Emily MyrenBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Monday, January 12, 2015 5:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
Not sure what it is about winters, but it seems like the local music scene appears to go into hibernation between October and February around here, at least as far as the bigger, more popular acts go. Normally, I would use this time to take a nice holiday break, maybe catch up on some old editing of live shows, network with bands and arrange some guests for Spring. With any luck, I get a chance to hit a few coffee shops (perfect with the cold weather) and hunt down some new singer/songwriter talent, those guys seem to work all year 'round. This year, however, it seems there are fewer and fewer new entrants into that circle. Maybe I met all off them courtesy of the myriad Shine series from the last couple of years, I really don't know. Complicating this is the fact that the rapid loss of live music venues that has plagued us for the last three years has now has extended to the coffee houses with many, such as Hearthstone, closing due to extensive competition, and others simply giving up on live music altogether to avoid the increasing presence of ASCAP fees and fines every time a performer slips in the occasional cover tune during their set of originals.
One new find for me this year has been Ms. Emily Myren, an up-and-coming, very in demand player who has given us no shortage of opportunities to see her perform in the second half of 2014. Bringing a new style and voice to the singer/songwriter scene, Emily has quickly become an in-demand favorite at most of our usual haunts, from the Shine series to Sabbatical to the newly added front room at the Alley Cat to a stellar appearance in the final round of Birdy's One Guitar competition. Now for the first time we get her on Indy In-Tune to play a few tracks from her new CD, Found, and to give us the story behind the songs and the songwriter.
Links Referenced in the Show:
- Emily Myren can be found here Facebook | ReverbNation | SoundCloud.
- Co-hosting on this episode are Brandon/Benjamin Cannon of Shine Indy and singer/songwriter Brandon Wilson who first appeared on Show #157.
- Her latest EP, Found, can be purchased here. It took all of 2 and a half hours to record. (Her first EP took even longer!)
- It was produced by Ryan Gibbons at Shine Studios.
- She got her start as a sociology major at Ball State.
- She recently made it to the finals of Birdy's One Guitar/Once Voice Competition.
- She was formerly the lead singer of a band called The Appomattox, which became There Was Eden.
Local Is Our Genre #001: The Pilot
Show #173: The Pit and the Core
|Darrin Snider is the music nerd responsible for founding Indy In-Tune Radio and the Indy In-Tune Podcast. By day he's a cloud engineer, which is fun, but he hopes to be an overnight freeform disc jockey someday.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus