Podcasts By Year2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #039: FinerBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
A friend and I were discussing what we liked about the new bands we're listening to these days. It would seem this changes every couple of years for us. Certainly musicianship is important, as is stage presence, and maybe even a bit of an "attitude." This week's guests, Finer, have all of those things. However, the thing that really draws me to their music is what, for lack of a better word, we called "quirkiness" during the interview. It's not that the music is weird or inaccessible by any means (quite the contrary), but more that their songs not only meld multiple, familiar styles and elements, but also that they turn them, not quite on their head, but at least a little off-the straight-and-narrow to give them a unique, fresh feel.
Beyond the music, Finer, represented in this
interview by husband and wife team Stacy Basner and Ethan James, have
some interesting stories about nursing a car through life in the fast
lane, living in LA, and more than a few observations about the Midwest
music scene, all of which are surprisingly optimistic and upbeat --
another quirky approach for local musicians.
Finally, for those of you keeping score, it was not evasion, but
purely coincidental that I neglected to ask my standard question: What
is the song "Thorn in My Side" about? This will no doubt prove to
be the omission of the year. Sorry, I guess you guys will just have to
whip out your subtext dictionaries and work on that one as your
Links referenced in the show:
- Finer can be found here: MySpace | Web Site | Facebook | Sonic Bids.
- Ethan's blog, "Finerethan," can be found here.
- Stacy's blog, "Finerstacy," can be found here.
- Their tracks can be downloaded from their website. Half of the proceeds from everything you buy goes to one of the following charities (your choice).
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Indianapolis
- Fisher House Foundation
- Habitat for Humanity
- Project Morry
- Success Through the Arts Foundation
- The Nature Conservancy
- Stacy and Ethan both attended, and in fact met at, the Musicians Institute in Hollywood, CA.
- The new tracks were recorded at Ron Grove's studio in Anderson and mixed and mastered by John Bolt at the Aire Born Group.
- Saxophonist John Harden also plays with his own band, the John Harden Project (MySpace | Web Site).
- Finer gets promotional and photographic work from Be Branded and Iconyc Photography.
- They are also members of the Rainmakers business networking group.
- Ethan has worked as the house Bassist for the American Cabaret Theater in downtown Indianapolis.
- This week's promo is for Ed's Mixed Bag Podcast.
- Boys & Girls Club of America
Show #038: Scooter Hanes
Your Vote Counts
|Darrin Snider is the music nerd responsible for founding Indy In-Tune Radio and the Indy In-Tune Podcast. By day he's a cloud engineer, which is fun, but he hopes to be an overnight freeform disc jockey someday.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus