Podcasts By Year2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #043: Bring the FiyahBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Friday, June 26, 2009 7:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
I love a bit of controversy. I've actually had very little with this show over the years, and what I did have is normally from that vocal group of five or six listeners who hate it when I change anything, no matter how minute ... new layout on the web site, moving the introbabble to the outrobabble, opening the show with a track instead of music news, etc. This week sparked a particularly heated debate from the limited-vision what is probably of that exact same group of four or five people: Are club DJ's technically musicians, and should they be featured on Indy In-Tune?
As if this is some exclusive country club?! Honestly, sometimes I think most people should be begging me not to associate myself with them.Trust me, both El Carnicero and Motif (aka: the Bring the Fiyah crew) are not only musicians, but they are also a fascinating melange of producer, DJ, artist, computer programmer, sociologist, music historian, entertainer, PR consultant, entrepreneur, music researcher, writer, journalist, and probably twenty other trades and skills once you scratch a little deeper beneath the surface. This interview covers all of that, as well as a bit about their roots, their current work, and their plans for building a multimedia publication empire dedicated to culture, fashion, art, and of course music. Really, the stuff that these guys deal with on a nightly basis boggles the mind, as I witnessed the following week, when I dropped back by their Wednesday night residency at Blu to take a few pictures, hang out in the booth, and watch them in action. I can safely say, as a project manager and someone who likes to have everything go according to a pre-defined plan, I do not envy these guys with the rapid, real-time, ups and downs, adapting, adjusting, and scrambling that they go through every night. I'd much rather sit on the other side of the speakers and listen and watch.
Links referenced in the show:
- Bring the Fiyah can be found here: MySpace | Web Site | Twitter
- El Carnicero can be found here: MySpace | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter
- Motif can be found here: MySpace | Facebook
- The two met while gigging at the Casba bar.
- Currently you can catch them every Wednesday night for "Pulse" 9:00 PM at Blu Lounge (MySpace | Web Site).
- "No Rubbers" (our third tune) is a collaboration between El Carnicero and and Elucid.
- "Deepy Down" (our fourth tune) is a collaboration between Motif and the Mystikos Quintet (MySpace | Web Site).
- "Live from the Butcha Shop" (our fifth track) was featured on the Street Bass Anthem series by Seclusiasis and is a collaboration between El Carnicero and Doodlebug of Diggable Planets.
- Important dates:
Show #042: Tonos Triad
Show #044: Pres Maxson
|Darrin Snider is the music nerd responsible for founding Indy In-Tune Radio and the Indy In-Tune Podcast. By day he's a cloud engineer, which is fun, but he hopes to be an overnight freeform disc jockey someday.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus