Podcasts By Year2021, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, Upcoming Shows
Show #237: Josh KaufmanBy: Darrin Snider (darrin at indyintune dot com)
Sunday, August 14, 2016 7:00:00 PM
|Click to Play or Right-Click/Save As to Download Podcast|
I've always said that it is both my greatest hope and greatest fear that SOMEBODY I know in the local music scene would get "the big break" and leave town for bigger and better things. Well, it took ten years, but Josh Kaufman pretty much did that in spades. I have to say though, all things considered, having him on the show felt a whole like like any other show. Maybe this is just the way celebrity works, or maybe it's just a hreflection of who Josh is, but for the most part this interview felt like every other interview we've done, albeit with several more interesting areas of conversation to cover.
Josh, obviously known to most people in this country as "that guy who won that TV contest thing" was, and is, a treasure of our local music scene. Over the years I've seen him play to two people at Castleton Grill as part of their Sunday night series. I've seen him play Battle of Birdy's with The New Etiquette to a crowd of people who mostly stood slack-jawed mumbling, "Who is this guy? Why have we never heard of him before?" And, of course I've seen him on national TV singing at the Indy 500 for a few million people. Funny enough, his energy and effort is the same in all three cases, and I really don't think he notices the difference. After hearing this interview, I think you'll agree with me.
Links Referenced in the Show:
- Josh Kaufman can be found here: Web site | Facebook | Twitter
- His new EP, Josh Kaufman, can be purchased from his web site.
- He is the 2014 winner of The Voice, which required him to cancel his appearance at the Indy In-Tune Soul/Funk Showcase at the last minute, and subsequently forced me to blacklist from playing Fishers, Indiana. I, of course, have lifted that ban now that we're good again.
- What many people don't know, and what Josh is desperately trying to bury, is that he previously appeared on Ed McMahon's Star Search back in the 1990's.
- He was also briefly on Broadway in the revival of Pippin.
- His next few projects will be done through the Patreon service.
- Need more Josh? You can catch him on September 24th at the Hi-Fi.
Local Is Our Genre #047: Rock the Vote!
Show #238: Awake the Wilde
|Darrin Snider is the OCD music nerd responsible for creating Indy In-Tune. By day he's a cloud engineer and business analyst, but he still hopes to someday be an overnight freeform disc jockey married to the local weathergirl who happens to be a former eastern-European supermodel.|
Blog comments powered by Disqus